A new technology was developed to do upper jaw dental implant treatments without using the hipbone graft. This ‘graft-less technique’, also called the ‘Zygoma technique’ uses the cheekbone (Zygoma bone) to anchor the longer zygoma implants.
This has the following advantages over conventional implant techniques:
- A fixed row of teeth within 72 hours as opposed to up to 6 months
- No need for hip or any bone graft (graft-less technique)
- Significantly less discomfort for patient
- Immediate ability to bite and chew crunchy and hard food stuff
- Immediate confidence boost with great looking teeth
Who can benefit from Zygoma implants?
Zygoma implants are appropriate for any person with missing or shaky teeth in their upper jaw, insufficient bone in the upper jaw to sustain regular implants, as well as those who are wearing complete dentures. They are appropriate for all age groups except children. In fact, a majority of our Zygoma implant patients have been young people between the ages of 17 and 40. The new artificial set of permanent teeth are fixed almost immediately (2-3 days) allowing them to eat normal food and smile confidently. The functional, aesthetic and psychological benefits of this procedure are tremendous.
Zygomatic implant treatment is evidence based surgical and prosthetic solution for the treatment for the atrophic maxilla, providing an alternative to grafting procedures.
Zygomatic implants are the long implants that are anchored in the Zygomatic bone when there is insufficient bone in the upper jaw to permit placement of conventional implants. These implants provide multi cortical anchorage permitting immediate loading of implants (Immediate provisional prosthesis) with cross arch stabilization.
- When there is insufficient bone in the upper jaw
- When conventional implants have failed
- Failed sinus lift and bone grafting procedures
- To avoid bone grafting procedures and their associated complications
- In patients who desires fixed set of teeth
- Can be used in completely edentulous or partially edentulous patients
- In maxillary resection cases due to tumour
- In acquired or congenital defects
- In syndromic patients
Prior to the treatment, Cbct of the patient is taken to aid the treatment planning and placement of implants. The procedure of pacing a Zygomatic Implant is similar to conventional implant placement but is performed under general anesthesia by an experienced Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon. It is placed through the crestal aspect of resorbed posterior maxilla and either through Intra sinus / Extra sinus / Extended sinus approach, it is anchored into the strong cortex of the Zygoma bone.
Following implant placement , multiunit abutments are attached to the implants and a screw retained prosthesis is provided within 3 days.
Zygomatic implants have a long term success rate of more than 98 % from the International published literature. These implants have a proven track record worldwide.
Short treatment time
- Minimal visits to the dentist
- Minimal surgical procedures
- Fixed prosthetic solution
- Better healing and recovery
- Better maintenance ( Low maintenance)
- Natural looking teeth and gums
- Screw retained prosthesis – ease of retrievability
- Of course, Confidence to Laugh out loud without the fear of dropping the dentures!!
Zygomatic implant treatment is a very precise procedure and requires meticulous diagnostic treatment planning. A dedicated team with considerable knowledge about the procedure with good surgical expertise is a requisite for the same.
The reported complications are post operative Sinusitis, infra orbital nerve parasthesia , oro antral fistula. All these complications can be avoided when proper diagnostic and surgical protocols are followed.